Find Me Unfraid: Love, Loss, and Hope in an African Slum has been selected as UNC Charlotte’s Common Reading text for Fall 2016. The book tells the story of two young people from completely different worlds—Kennedy Odede from Kibera, Kenya, and Jessica Posner from Denver, CO. The Common Reading selection committee, chaired by Dr. Gregory Weeks, invites you to engage with this story of a fight against poverty and hopelessness, the transformation made possible by a true love, and the power of young people to have a deep impact on the world. Books are available in the campus bookstore.
The Common Reading Experience at UNC Charlotte is designed to provide a shared academic experience which serves to assist all first-year students in their transition to UNC Charlotte. This program offers unique opportunities for self-reflection, critical thinking, student interaction, and understanding of diverse perspectives. Adoption of the common reading is especially encouraged in first year seminars, first year writing, and general education courses, though any faculty interested in using the text in their teaching is welcome.
Note to Faculty: If you are interested in considering this text for adoption in your Fall 2016 courses, please contact Carla Eastis at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can send you a review copy of the book and include you on announcements related to our instructors workshop, the author visit, and other campus events of the Common Reading Experience. Email your name, department, the course(s) you are considering using the book in, and anticipated enrollment numbers. You should also submit the book to the campus bookstore as a required text for any course in which you will be using the selection. Authors Kennedy Odede and Jessica Posner will visit campus on October 20, 2016.
Former Common Reading Experience Selections
- 2015 – The Postmortal, by Drew Magary
- 2014 – The Yellow Birds, by Kevin Powers
- 2013 - Wine to Water: A Bartender’s Quest to Bring Clean Water to the World, by Doc Hendley
- 2012 - Outcasts United: An American Town, a Refugee Team, and One Woman’s Quest to Make a Difference, by Warren St. John
- 2011 - How Does It Feel to Be a Problem? Being Young and Arab in America, by Moustafa Bayoumi
- 2010 - The Blue Sweater, by Jacqueline Novogratz
- 2009 - Listening is an Act of Love, by Dave Isay
- 2008 - Enrique's Journey, by Sonia Nazario
- 2007 - The Color of Water, by James McBride