University College FAQs

I am going to do a study abroad program; how do I get credit for those classes at UNC Charlotte?

Working with the Office of Education Abroad, you will fill out a curriculum planning sheet for all the classes you might take when you are away. For each of those courses, you need to get approval from the equivalent department here indicting what the UNC Charlotte credit should be. When that form is complete, bring it to the University College office.

I am on academic probation. What does that mean?

Academic probation means that your grade point average has fallen below the minimum 2.0 that you need to remain in good academic standing. Being on academic probation is a warning of potentially serious consequences that will come if you don’t improve your academic performance.  If you are on academic probation, we urge you to meet with your advisor as soon as possible to discuss the implications and what you can do to improve your performance.

I have been suspended from the University. What does this mean?

Academic Suspension means that you have failed to meet the academic standards for continued enrollment. (It is also possible to be suspended for other reasons that are not addressed here.) Upon suspension, you are dis-enrolled from any classes that you have registered for. You can appeal your suspension by following the procedure explained in the letter you received from the Registrar. As a UCOL student, your appeal will be handled in University College. If, in our opinion, your academic situation is such that there is a likelihood of success if you continue, we will readmit you; usually we include conditions concerning the number of hours you will take and the support services that you will make use of. We may also recommend that you consider completing a 2-year associate’s degree at a community college or stopping out for two years, both of which may be preferable solutions to the problem you have.

I missed the deadline to add, drop, or withdraw from a course; can I get an exception?

In most cases the answer will be no. Registration deadlines for the last day to drop, add, or withdraw from a course are published well in advance. Requests for exceptions must be filed using the Academic Petition form and must be accompanied by a justification and supporting documentation.

I need to get into a course that is closed, can you get me a permit?

No. College policy is that only the instructor in a course may decide whether to admit students above the published enrollment cap. You will need to contact the instructor and/or his/her department directly.

I want to take a course somewhere else and transfer it back to UNC Charlotte; is that possible?

In most cases the answer is yes. The form you need is called a Permit for Transient Study. It is always best to get approval on this form before you take the course elsewhere as that ensures that you will get credit here. For each course that you are taking, you need to approval from the department that teaches the equivalent course at UNC Charlotte. When you have all of those approvals bring the form to the University College office.

I’ve received a notice that concerns my ‘grade point deficit.’ What in the world does that mean?

Grade point deficit is a measure of how far you are below the threshold of good academic standing (a 2.0 GPA). The important thing to know about Grade Point Deficit is that your GPA itself doesn’t tell you how deep a hole you are in. A student with only 15 GPA hours could have a GPA of 1.8, and only need one B and 4 Cs in the following semester to get up to a 2.0. A student with 90 hours and a GPA of 1.8, in contrast would need 4 Bs and an A to get to a 2.0. To calculate Grade Point Deficit, take your GPA hours (the hours that you have earned here at UNC Charlotte) and multiply by 2. Subtract your total Grade Points. The difference is your Grade Point Deficit, the smaller the better.